Monday, July 2, 2012

PB&Js and the Tupac of Ghana

Day 19 
28 Jun 2012

Finally back from a three-day trip to Kumasi! Definitely expect my very next post to be another weekend photo-journey. The Thursday before we left was not terribly eventful. I went to the basic school in the morning to conduct my first ever “obroni lesson” for the kids. I may have mentioned before that they had never tried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, which is mindblowing to me as it is such a staple of the American childhood! I thought I might make a little culture lesson on it, but there isn’t a lengthy history on PB&Js (surprise, surprise). Fun fact, the very first “PB&J” was peanut butter spread on crackers in New York back in the early 20th century. It was considered something of a delicacy because the price of peanut butter was very high. Overtime, however, as it rose in popularity, the costs went down and PB&Js became a hit with the modern American family for how easy, tasty, and nutritious they are! Anyway, I bought a couple giant jars of jelly and peanut butter and two huge loaves of bread so that I could make a gazillion finger sandwiches. As it turned out, the only bread I could find was unsliced, and crumbled into my hands when I tried to cut it myself. Sandwiches were out. So naturally, I lifted up the names of Martha Stewart and Julia Childs in prayer that they might bestow some supernatural improvisation ability to me. The result? Peanut butter and jelly balls.

The recipe:

1 handful of bread, torn into little pieces
1 spoonful of jelly
1 spoonful of peanut butter

With clean hands, take the ingredients and smash them together. Then roll them into cookie dough-sized balls. Done.


Okay, I know it looks like a questionable operation, but I swear I was careful to be super hygienic.

I couldn't believe it; the result was seriously rad! The kids were all over them. I think I may have to bring this recipe home with me. Nom nom nom.

Later that night, the group was getting ready to go out for Kelsey's birthday, and me being the ever-so-wet blanket that I am decided to stay at Ish because we were leaving very early the next morning to leave for Kumasi. If I had known, oh, if I had only known the events that were to go down that night I would have changed my mind. Apparently, when the group went out to one of the clubs, they ran into the "Tupac of Ghana," Reggie Rockstone. Not only did he invite them to his club for free but he bought everyone drinks and made it rain. Yes, HE LITERALLY SHOWERED MONEY ON THE PEOPLE IN THE CLUB. I'm pretty sure one of the guys in our group picked up a solid 70 cedis (about $35 U.S.). Crazy. It was one of those you-had-to-be-there moments I'm still kicking myself for missing.

Nante yie,
Gabi

No comments:

Post a Comment